What To Do When Your AC is Leaking
The last thing you want to see during a Pennsylvania summer is a leaking air conditioner, but this problem is far more common than you would think. As your AC unit cools, it also dehumidifies, and the moisture drips down into a condensate pan below. The condensate drain is tasked with carrying this water away and out of your house, but sometimes this process is disrupted, leading to leaks. Read on to learn what causes these AC leaks, how to prevent them, and what to do when your AC is leaking!
Get relief from the Pennsylvania heat with the professionals at Mattioni Plumbing, Heating & Cooling! Contact us for an air conditioning tune-up or inspection.
What Causes an AC to Leak?
There are various reasons why an AC unit may begin to leak. At the first sign of a leak, contact one of our expert AC technicians for a consultation and repair visit. Some of the most common reasons a leak will occur include:
- A clogged condensate drain line. This is the most common reason for an AC water leak. Dirt, debris, mold, or dust can clog the drain line triggering water backup.
- A broken condensate pump. AC units that rely on a condensate pump will leak if the pump isn’t moving water outside anymore.
- A damaged drain pan. Older air conditioners may have drain pans that have rusted or become damaged, allowing water to filter through.
- A dirty air filter. Dirt on your air filter doesn’t allow proper airflow over the evaporator coil. This will cause your evaporator coil to freeze over. When the coil begins to thaw and melt, the water can overflow the pan and leak out of the unit.
- Refrigerant issues. When refrigerant gets low, it alters the pressure in the AC system, which can also cause the evaporator coils to freeze, then melt. Refrigerant leaks can be serious. Professional refrigerant leak detection services can uncover leaks quickly and accurately.
What the Mattioni Team Can Do to Help
Don’t delay getting your AC system serviced when you observe leaks or other indicators that something is askew with your system. A non-functioning AC can be uncomfortable and dangerous for sensitive groups.
Experience the efficiency of our NATE-certified technicians with same-day service on emergency repair work and upfront pricing on everything we do. We offer:
- Air conditioning repairs
- Air conditioning maintenance
- Air conditioning replacement
- Refrigerant leak detection
- Indoor air cleaning
- Thermostat services
- Ductless mini-splits zoning
- Heat pump services
How to Avoid an AC Issue in the Future
Prevention is the best way to avoid a future AC leak or problem. Annual air conditioning maintenance, tune-ups, and inspections are essential to keep your air conditioning ready to work for you at a moment’s notice. Spring is the optimum time to have your air conditioner serviced before it is needed in summer. Your NATE-certified technician will clean and lubricate the equipment, perform tests to ensure safe operation, and make necessary repairs.
Routine maintenance lowers your repair costs, reduces your energy bills, and extends your AC unit’s life span. Simplify the process by enrolling in a Mattioni VIP Membership. For less than $20 per month, you can benefit from:
- Two HVAC tune-ups per year
- Repair discounts
- Priority service
- Extended warranty coverage
- And more!
Learn more about our VIP Membership! Contact us today! Mattioni Plumbing, Heating & Cooling is a family-owned and -operated business founded in 1948. We are here for all your air conditioning needs!
Use our scheduler!