What Causes AC Short-Cycling & How Do I Fix It?
When it comes to keeping our homes comfortable, air conditioning systems play an essential role. However, even the most reliable AC units can start to make life frustrating — especially when they start to short-cycle.
What Is AC Short-Cycling?
AC short-cycling is when your air conditioning unit turns on and off more frequently than it should. Instead of going through complete cooling cycles, the system shuts off prematurely, only to restart shortly afterward. This can result in several unwanted AC issues, including:
- Uneven cooling throughout the home
- Reduced energy efficiency
- Increased wear and tear on AC components
Causes of AC Short-Cycling
Several factors can contribute to AC short-cycling, so it’s important to be aware of them to prevent this issue in your system. Some of the most common causes include:
- Oversized unit: If your air conditioner is too large for the cooling space, it can cool the room too quickly and shut off before completing a full cycle.
- Undersized ductwork: Inadequate ductwork sizing can lead to restricted airflow, causing the AC system to cycle on and off frequently.
- Refrigerant leaks: Low refrigerant levels due to leaks can cause the system to malfunction and short-cycle as it struggles to cool your home effectively.
- Faulty thermostat: A malfunctioning or improperly calibrated thermostat can send incorrect signals to your AC, leading to frequent cycling.
- Dirty filters: Clogged air filters restrict airflow, causing the AC to work harder and short-cycle as a result.
How Do Professionals Inspect & Repair for Short-Cycling?
When you call a professional HVAC technician to address AC short-cycling, they will conduct a thorough inspection to diagnose and resolve the underlying issues. Here are some steps they may take during your service appointment:
- Checking the refrigerant levels: The technician will measure the refrigerant levels and identify any leaks that may need repair. They will then recharge the system to the appropriate levels.
- Evaluating ductwork: Proper airflow is essential for efficient cooling. The technician will inspect the ductwork for leaks, blockages, or improper sizing and make necessary adjustments or repairs.
- Calibrating the thermostat: To ensure accurate temperature readings and optimal performance, the technician will calibrate or replace the thermostat if necessary.
- Cleaning or replacing air filters: Dirty air filters can impede airflow and cause short-cycling. The technician will clean or replace the filters to promote smoother air circulation throughout the home.
Trust Mattioni With Your AC Services
A properly functioning air conditioning system is essential for maintaining comfort in your home. If you’re dealing with AC short-cycling or any other cooling system issues, don’t hesitate to contact the Mattioni Team for expert assistance.
At Mattioni, we understand the importance of a well-functioning air conditioning system, especially during the hot summer months. Our team of skilled HVAC professionals is dedicated to providing top-notch AC services tailored to your needs. Our expertise and commitment to customer satisfaction guarantee efficient and long-lasting solutions for your AC short-cycling problems.
Use our scheduler!