How Do Boilers Work? A Guide
Boilers are a great option to keep your home warm during the harsh winters, but how much do you know about your boiler? Mattioni Plumbing, Heating & Cooling is here to give you the boiler basics, discuss some common problems, and show you why we’re proud to be your local experts for professional boiler maintenance, repair, and installation!
The Basics of Boilers
Boilers are an effective and energy-efficient alternative to other types of heating systems. There are several different types of boilers, but overall, boilers use the same process to heat your home:
- Water is heated within your boiler to create steam. Different boilers are designed to work with specific fuel types to do this. The most common types of fuel are gas and oil.
- After the water is heated and steam has been created, the boiler releases the hot water or steam (depending on which type of system it is), and then it’s circulated throughout the pipes and radiators in your home.
- The hot water or steam passes through the thick metal walls of your radiator tubes and works to distribute heat to the room where the radiator is located.
- When it has cooled, the water (or steam converted back into water from cooling down) is directed back through the boiler water pipe system and returns to the original heating vessel (your boiler).
- Your boiler will repeat this process to continuously provide heat to your home.
Common Boiler Issues
No heating system can help you if it malfunctions or breaks down, so proper maintenance is essential. Common boiler issues include:
- No heat or hot water
- Water leaks
- The pilot light keeps going out
- Cold radiators
- The boiler is not responding to the thermostat
- Strange noises coming from the boiler, like gurgling, whistling, and banging
- Unpleasant smells, such as burning metal, oil, or plastic
If you notice any of these issues or suspect something else might be happening with your boiler, don’t wait to call a professional. Maintaining your boiler and getting issues fixed as soon as possible is crucial for making your heating system last.
Choose Mattioni for Boiler Services
For over 75 years, we’ve been proud to be your local experts for professional boiler replacement, installation, repair, and maintenance. The Mattioni Team is dedicated to serving our customers with the best heating, cooling, and plumbing services.
We promise same-day services, upfront pricing, and friendly, trustworthy, NATE-certified technicians.
Use our scheduler!