Expert Garbage Disposal Services in Southeastern PA
When your garbage disposal is doing what it’s supposed to, disposing of garbage, everything is fine. All the food scraps are churned up and go down the drain, and you’re free to move on with your day.
But when something happens to your garbage disposal, problems abound. Since it’s a complicated unit of machinery, it has lots of moving parts that could all malfunction or come loose. The blades can rust or dull as you use it over time, the motor can stop working, and other issues can pop up eventually.
Give us a call at 610-400-8510 to speak to a team member who will help you with your garbage disposal concerns!
Garbage Disposal Replacement in West Chester
Garbage disposals make quick work of food waste, but they can break or fail under the right conditions. At Mattioni Plumbing, Heating & Cooling, we offer fast, same-day garbage disposal replacements and water line services for any problem you may encounter, such as:
- Tripped breakers or safety switches
- Leaking drain connections
- Dull or broken blades
- Seized motors
Garbage Disposal Installation
In general, you can expect a garbage disposal to last seven to 15 years before a replacement is necessary. When you need a new garbage disposal for your home, turn to our team at Mattioni Plumbing, Heating & Cooling for help choosing and installing the right model for your needs. We offer garbage disposal installation and replacement services throughout the Kennett Square area, complete with upfront pricing, exceptional service, and professional results.
What Not to Put Down Your Disposal
Garbage disposals are quite powerful and can reduce food waste to small particles in a matter of seconds, but there are some foods that can stop a garbage disposal cold. To avoid clogging, seizing, or damaging your garbage disposal, never use it to grind the following:
- Fibrous fruits and vegetables – The stringy fibers in celery, banana peels, asparagus, and corn husks can wrap around and tangle in the blades.
- Eggshells – The membrane just below the shell of an egg can wrap around the blades of your garbage disposal and cause it to jam.
- Coffee grounds and spices – Granular materials like coffee grounds and spices can accumulate in drain pipes and traps, causing clogs.
- Pasta and rice – Foods such as pasta, rice, and oats can absorb water and expand after they leave the garbage disposal, clogging the drain pipes.
- Potatoes and beans – The starches in beans, potatoes, and similar foods can create a sticky coating on the blades and interior of the garbage disposal.
- Grease – Grease, cooking oil, and peanut butter can congeal in the drain, leading to clogs.
- Bones and shells – Bones, nuts, shells, or peach pits can damage the blades of the garbage disposal or dull them.
Schedule Garbage Disposal Services Today!
Don’t spend too much time figuring out what to do when you encounter this issue. Mattioni Plumbing, Heating & Cooling knows how important it is to have an operational garbage disposal and how it’s even more important to make sure a professional handles a broken one.
Disposals involve extremely sharp blades spinning very quickly, and even though you might be sure it’s unplugged or not working, accidents can still happen.
If you’ve got a disposal question or concern, don’t try and fix it yourself. Mattioni has been serving Southeastern Pennsylvania for more than 70 years, and our team knows the proper safety steps to follow to ensure we perform a job without an accident.
Garbage Disposal FAQS
To keep your garbage disposal working at its best:
- Use it often to keep the impellers clean, free of corrosion, and turning smoothly.
- Avoid grinding troublesome items such as banana peels, corn husks, pasta, or coffee grounds. Use plenty of water before, during, and after grinding.
- Maintain it often, and call our team at Mattioni Plumbing, Heating & Cooling for garbage disposal service at the first sign of trouble.
Humming or buzzing noises may indicate that the garbage disposal is jammed. Shut off power at the breakers or unplug the garbage disposable. Use the manufacturer-supplied wrench to turn the impeller manually. Suppose the garbage disposal is not jammed or the sounds continue. In that case, the motor may be failing, and the garbage disposal will need to be replaced. For fast, professional garbage disposal installations in the Chester County area, contact our team at Mattioni Plumbing, Heating & Cooling today.
If your garbage disposal jams or encounters especially hard foods, it may draw more current than average and trip its overload device. Find and press the “Reset” button, usually located on the bottom of the garbage disposal. If it does not run back on, call our team at Mattioni Plumbing, Heating & Cooling for a more in-depth diagnosis.
Most garbage disposals will last eight to 10 years before they need to be replaced. At Mattioni Plumbing, Heating & Cooling, we offer complete garbage disposal installations and replacements throughout the West Chester area. Our experts can recommend the best model for your home based on your budget and the amount of waste your household will process.