How to Prevent Your Garbage Disposal Unit from Clogging
Garbage disposals can be a big culprit in clogging pipes. While garbage disposals have come a long way, they are not invincible. Repeatedly cramming large amounts of food waste down the drain can eventually lead to clogged pipes – especially if you don’t perform routine maintenance on the unit.
Here are a few general rules every homeowner should follow in order to prevent having their garbage disposal get clogged and back up their plumbing system:
- You can grind food waste only with a strong flow of cold water.
- You can grind hard material such as bones, fruit pits, etc.
- You can grind citrus and other melon rinds.
- You should not dispose of fat or grease in your disposal. We suggest that you place it in a container, allow it to solidify and then dispose of it in the trash.
- You should not use hot water when grinding food waste. However, hot water can be drained into disposal between grinding periods.
- Do not turn off the motor or water until grinding is completed and only a motor and water sound is heard.
- You should not grind extremely fibrous material like corn husks, artichokes, etc. to avoid possible drain blockage.
Use our scheduler!